Maureen Mujera is a Partner at O & M Law. Maureen has gained considerable experience in handling corporate commercial transactions spread over 10 years of advising clients through some of the most complex and notable transaction conducted in Kenya. She has advised on a wide range of prominent deals within Kenya and the region.
Maureen has an in-depth grasp of the fields of infrastructure development, real estate and financial services. Her expertise extends to banking and project finance and all types of real estate projects including residential, commercial and mixed-use developments. Maureen has worked alongside real estate developers from project inception, to providing guidance on construction contracts and project development, to formulation of effective financing structures and to the eventual realisation of successful and iconic projects in Nairobi and beyond. She has also gained recognition for her work in corporate mergers and acquisitions, commercial, regulatory and compliance issues and infrastructure projects and energy developments.
She advised the Kenyan Government on its USD 2 billion sovereign eurobond issuance – the largest sovereign debut debt issue in Sub-Saharan Africa to date – as well as the subsequent USD 750 million tap issue. This deal was awarded African Deal of the Year at the Global Capital Emerging Markets Bond Awards 2014.
Maureen has for the past six years been continuously recognised as a leading lawyer by Chambers Global which in its commendation states that “she knows her stuff”
- Law Society of Kenya
- East African Law Society
- The International Bar Association
- Kenya School of Law, Postgraduate Diploma, Kenya
- University of Nairobi, Bachelor of Law, LL.B,
- April 2015 to Date Partner, O&M Law (Previously Ogola & Mujera Advocates)
- 2009 – April 2015 Partner, Anjarwalla & Khanna Advocates (Head of Real Estate and Finance Practice in the Firm)
- 2007 – 2008 Senior Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna Advocates
- 2006 – 2007 Legal Counsel, CFC Stanbic Bank Limited (then CFC Bank Limited)
- 2004 – 2006 Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna Advocates
- 2003 – 2004 Legal Assistant, Kapila Anjarwalla & Khanna Advocates
Awards and accolades
- Maureen has been listed as a leading lawyer by Chambers Global for a number of years:
- Chambers Global 2017 described Maureen as being involved in major real estate profects, advising clients on all aspects of property law as well as assisting with related finance and shareholder agreements. Sources said “she’s at the top in mafters of real estate. She’s very well respected.”
- Chambers Global 2016 described Maureen as being a first-class lawyer and an abolsute pleasure to deal with. Clients said: “Maureen can make everyone in the room feel comfortable. She is able to get both sides ti see eye to eye, which is key to getting a deal done..”.
- Chamber Global 2015 described Maureen as best known for her real estate practice. Sources said: “She knows her stuff..”.
- Chambers Global 2014 described Maureen as “excellent – she understands exactly where we’re coming from and comes up with bespoke solutions”.
- Chambers Global 2013 described Maureen as having an active real estate workload, and acts on mixed-use developments….”.
- Legal 500 has described Maureen as ‘reliable, professional, courteous, helpful and respond[s] promptly’.
- She has also been voted by Best Lawyers International as one of the best real estate Lawyers in Kenya.
- She is a recognized speaker and has conducted a number of seminars and spoken in conferences on real estate matters; Kenya’s land laws and their effect on the agricultural and finance sectors; money laundering legislation in Kenya; and project and structured finance.
- Currently serving as a director on the Board of Directors of the Special Economic Zones Authority.
- Postgraduate Diploma – Kenya School of Law
- University of Nairobi, Bachelor of Law, LL.B
- Partner – Ogola and Mujera Advocates
- Partner – Anjarwalla & Khanna Advocates
- Associate – Anjarwalla & Khanna Advocates
- Legal Counsel – CFC Stanbic Bank Limited (thenCFC Bank Limited